Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Computer Topic

Go down 
+9
Sirfalas
Lamm
TheLostElf
Cobalt
archetype
Johnnyorks
Angelea
Nagii
takk
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Angelea

Angelea

The Computer Topic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 06, 2011 11:13 pm

Dennis, it can be anything from faulty motherboard to power supply.
The situation you described sounds like your PSU is losing power output. Hence the network card and other accessories was still able to draw standby power and not enough to fully power the computer.

Best way to check PSU is to swap it out with another computer, unless you have a PSU tester or multimeter.
You may also want to check the motherboard switch pins, which are labeled as the below.
Power LED+, -
Power SW
Reset SW
H.D.D LED
Back to top Go down
Lamm

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 5:35 pm

What is he going to be doing on the PC though.

edit: promotion is ending today just so u know
Back to top Go down
Lamm

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 5:46 pm

He wants to watch movies, and the most intensive game he would ever touch is like mabinogi
Back to top Go down
Angelea

Angelea

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 5:48 pm

At most it can handle is AM3 cpu (AMD's equivalent to Intel's Core2Duo).
The motherboard actually have a PCI-E 16x, means he can add a video card later on.

Not much to brag about except it's cheap.
Add a video card and you can run decent on games, don't expect it to be super fast.
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Lamm wrote:
most intensive game he would ever touch is like mabinogi

I like that line.
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 3:38 am

IE9 is released and ready for download.

They are marketing it based on being faster than other competing browsers, you be the judge.

Unfortunately, only Windows 7 versions available at this stage.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie/home
Back to top Go down
http://dreams-mabinogi.com
Lamm

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 11:54 am

Is this compatible with my motherboard? It's within my price range and has a lot of good reviews

http://dealnews.com/XFX-Radeon-HD-6870-1-GB-PCIe-Video-Card-for-159-after-rebate-free-shipping/445558.html
Back to top Go down
Angelea

Angelea

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 1:58 pm

yeah it's compatible, you have 1 PCI-E slot.
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 6:51 pm

That's a pretty cheap deal you got there Lamm with coupon codes and rebates.

It's bench results; http://www.techspot.com/review/325-amd-radeon-6870/page1.html

Seems like it performs on par with GTX470.
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 6:33 am

So my computer system was born on these very forums, it's been several months since Angelea first customed me a pc to play Final Fantasy XIV.

I've done some updates to it myself since the last pics I showed you guys in the FF topic.

Learning about computers is so much fun, even though I did break a motherboard during the process haha.

Here's my current rig recorded in 1080p using my Logitech C910 Webcam for both video and audio. Enjoy. =)

Back to top Go down
Cobalt

Cobalt

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:07 pm

LOL q mad dumb, 'some usher music' hahahahah idk why that gave me a good laugh
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Cobalt wrote:
LOL q mad dumb, 'some usher music' hahahahah idk why that gave me a good laugh

stupid mexican laugh at everything.

anyone know anything about camcorders? i'm confused as to buying a 1080i camcorder for $250 or 1080p camcorder for $650...i or p...worth the difference in $400?
Back to top Go down
Tomoshio

Tomoshio

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Nagii wrote:
Any recommended ways to bypass Mabinogi IP block? D:
Trying to log on since its winter break.
Hey Nagii.
I'm able to tell you how to use the IP block that i used to play mabi o.o;
BUT apperantly it's only able on like Windows XP... o.o; it's free...:X
o.o; don't buy the proxy.. they aren't worth it LOL.. and normally Very Happy U GET RIPPED OFFF ~~~~~
Back to top Go down
Tiny

Tiny

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 am

what happen to the lights for ur pc??
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 5:26 pm

if you're talking about the lights flashing slowly, its motion blur from recording using my webcam. had i used a proper video cam woulda blinked diff in the vid.

i'll be upgrading my rig to triple monitor when dragon nest na comes out =)
Back to top Go down
Toushiroice

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 6:48 pm

All in all how much money did it take to accomplish?
Back to top Go down
Lamm

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46051118@N08/5542429064/

I opened my Computer for the first time in roughly 3 years a while back. Can you see how dusty it was for my processor? haha
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:03 am

Lamm wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46051118@N08/5542429064/

I opened my Computer for the first time in roughly 3 years a while back. Can you see how dusty it was for my processor? haha

Lol, wow that's a lot of dust.

New cases these days come with dust filters. Mine's like almost 100% dust free thanks to good filters. Had PC for about 9 months now and not a spec of dust inside it.
Back to top Go down
archetype

archetype

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 pm

For some unknown reason my League of Legends doesn't run like it used to. I used to get constant 60 FPS, but now it drops down to 40s, 20s, and even 10s. And I can't even stream without lagging like a bitch and that has been a huge problem for me... so now I am trying to upgrade my labtop.

so what do I need?

I don't speak this magical language of computers. help me out broski. I don't wanna spend more than 500 total.
Back to top Go down
Angelea

Angelea

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 10:56 pm

In most cases, upgrading laptop is not an option. Most components within the laptop are soldered together. Sure you can add more memory, or change out the hard drive to solid state drive for some speed, but it won't really affect frame rates (FPS).
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 1:10 am

Like what Angelea said, upgrading won't do you much good on laptops.

You should try reformatting your Operating System. Meaning wiping out all current data then reinstalling windows etc. It might help if your issue is a crap load of software clogged onto your laptop.

If you want to buy a new laptop that's for gaming, then I recommend only Alienware laptops and maybe some others that I don't know of and I will tell you why.

I recently bought a HP DV6 laptop with AMD 6570M graphics card and i7 CPU - it gets 6.9 for Windows Experience Index graphics scores and 2000 on FF14 low score, which is pretty good. It has a massive downfall though, THE COOLING.

Playing Dragon Nest and nothing else loaded on the laptop reaches 70-80 degrees C. The CPU load is only about 10-15% too. Not to mention my laptop is running with a Zalman NC2000 laptop cooler pad sitting underneath it too. Would be even hotter without the Zalman cooler.

I opened up my laptop the other day and found that it's cooled by 1 tiny 80mm fan blowing air through 1 heatpipe into the CPU block, then that same air is blown into 1 heatpipe that leads to GPU block, then exhausted out of a hole right next to where the fan is suppose to suck in air. -_- Basically one direction cooling.

My friend has an Alienware laptop with AMD 6990M graphics, and both CPU and GPU have dedicated fans for each and 3-4 dedicated heatpipes for each. It doesn't even run hot. The CPU is on one side of laptop, and GPU is on other side. Not like my crappy HP placing the 2 next to each other.

Overall, if you're buying something for gaming purposes. Laptop cooling is your most concern, the better the GPU on the laptop - the more hot it's going to get.

Get a Desktop with a nice Dell Ultrasharp monitor and never look back, like me and Angelea =)
Back to top Go down
archetype

archetype

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm

huh. is there a good labtop fan I can buy? All the ones I see are shitty.
Back to top Go down
takk

takk

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:35 am

if you are talking about notebook coolers, the zalman nc2000 is the best in terms of cooling performance and noise levels.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Computer Topic   The Computer Topic - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Computer Topic
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2